Followers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

26 days until opening at Piante 8/6. Painting Glaciers in Glacier Alley, Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina & Chile






"In many parts, glaciers extend from the mountainside to the waters' edge. It is scarcely possible to image anything more beautiful than the beryl-like blue of these glaciers" Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle.

Todays blog post is about painting glaciers al fresco in the Beagle Channel, and about feeling vulnerable as an artist getting ready to show a large body of work.

In 2005 on a trip to visit our son in Chile, my husband and I sailed through the Beagle Channel. We followed Darwin's passage, and I sketched, with frozen fingers, all day long while gliding through Glacier Alley - so named for the numerous, glistening tide-water glaciers that extend into the narrow channel.
I am completely in agreement with Darwin - this was unbelievably beautiful.
Here's a list of the glaciers in order starting from Ushuaia, in Argentine Tierra Del Fuego: Holanda, Italia, Francia, Alemania, Romanche. Romanche, was the best! Huge, and with a magnificent waterfall.
I made several sketches of Romanche, and in the exhibit there will be two monotypes.

I have already dealt with the most vulnerably stage of this show: taking all 34 pieces of art (plus some extras just in case) over to the gallery - wondering what the reaction would be. But it was really good! And the layout seemed to work very well. I thought it looked great! I felt elated! Now it is time to finish the press release and mail it in with images, and hope that the exhibit gets good publicity. Another opportunity to feel vulnerable. Opportunity? My good friend Silke would say that it is good for me.
Here are two photos of me sketching in Glacier Alley. Both taken by Gordon Inkeles. I am very grateful to him for all the fine photos during this voyage. The two monotypes depict the Romanche glacier with its forked waterfall.


No comments:

Post a Comment