Followers

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Hugged by Jenny Scheiman

The fact that she thought I was someone else did not diminish the sweetness of the moment. She approached me from the back and I did not see her until she was right by me, just beaming, and then realizing her mistake she smiled gracefully and moved away. Now I wonder who I look like from the back? 




It was a great evening of music at our intimate Arcata Playhouse.
It was also a celebration of Jenny Scheinman's return to the North Coast. She grew up in Humboldt County, but has lived in Brooklyn for  several years. With her husband and kids, she recently moved to Arcata. She was surrounded by family and friends. We are all hoping this means more opportunities to see her. 


I was amused and also deeply moved by her song The Littlest Prisoner, that she performed the night of the hug. And I am looking forward to her new record by the same name - coming out soon.
Here it is on YouTube. Performed with Robbie Fulks (also with her at the Arcata Playhouse) on guitar.



In this painting a pregnant Jenny Scheinman is sitting in with the Honey Ear Trio, consisting of Allison Miller, Rene Hart, and Erik Lawrence. This was great evening of jazz at the Arcata Playhouse. I painted this piece live during the performance on my iPad using the ArtStudio app. The Little prisoner was added later ;)


  Another live iPad painting at the Arcata Playhouse. Jenny Scheinman, violin, Todd Sickafoose, bass, and Allison Miller, drums.

As the sun is setting over Arcata Bay, I am working on this jazz blog while listening to Jenny Scheiman's last record Mischief and Mayhem. It makes me happy!

Soon she will be touring as the solo opening act with Ani Di Franco starting on the 19th of Feb. They will be here in Arcata, at the Van Duzer Theater at Humboldt State University, on March 2. I'll be there!











No comments:

Post a Comment